This Policy has been adopted by Mulgrave Church of Christ in order to voluntarily comply with the requirements of the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act No 155 of 2000. The Policy should be read together with the National Privacy Principles (NPPs) set out in the Privacy Act.
1. Mulgrave Church of Christ will comply with the NPPs. If there is an inconsistency between this policy and the NPPs, then the NPPs will prevail.
2. Subject to paragraph 3, Mulgrave Church of Christ will only use personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected. Individuals will be informed of the purpose for which the information is being collected. These purposes will relate to the spiritual, pastoral, social educational and administrative functions of Mulgrave Church of Christ to enable the provision of the services and activities included above.
3. Primarily the Mulgrave Church of Christ and each of its departments collect personal information for the benefit of its members, residents, clients, consumers, donors and volunteers. Additionally the Mulgrave Church of Christ has an important function of maintaining personal information for the purpose of analysing the role of the Churches of Christ and the Churches of Christ in society and recording family histories of its members. This information may be disclosed to scholars studying the church and to relatives of church members providing it is used in a general way so as not to highlight any specific person.
4. Mulgrave Church of Christ will only use personal information about an individual for a secondary purpose if that individual has consented or the use is otherwise permitted by the NPPs.
5. Mulgrave Church of Christ will take reasonable steps to keep personal information secure and will, subject to the NPPs, comply with a request from a person to access, correct or remove their information.
6. Mulgrave Church of Christ will appoint a Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer will provide advice on the storage and security of information and the procedures to permit individuals to access and/or correct the personal information collected by Mulgrave Church of Christ about them. The Privacy Officer will receive and deal with any complaint that that Mulgrave Church of Christ has not complied with this policy or the NPPs.
7. Personal information collected by Mulgrave Church of Christ may be sensitive information for the purpose of the NPPs (eg information about a person’s religious beliefs). As a non‑profit organisation, Mulgrave Church of Christ is permitted to collect sensitive information without a person’s express consent. However, Mulgrave Church of Christ will endeavour to seek consent from a person if sensitive information is sought for something other than the primary functions of Mulgrave Church of Christ described in paragraph 2.
Mulgrave Church of Christ’s operating procedures will comply with this Policy and the NPPs.
Please address any enquiries in relation to this policy to:
The Privacy Officer
Mulgrave Church of Christ
44-60 Jacksons Road
Mulgrave VIC 3170